My Big Sister

Today, August 2, 2009, my big sister is one year away from turning 50 years old! Where did all the time go? I love Lauri and have grown increasingly grateful for our friendship and for our un-ending tie as brother and sister. As a way to celebrate her life long distance (she is in Illinois and I am in Colorado), I would like to share some memories and pictures of Lauri . . .

When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I discovered (what I thought was) a pile of money in our neighbor's drive way...in reality, it was probably no more than a dollar in change. I deliberated on the moral decision of whether or not I should claim the treasure...and quickly decided "finders keepers, losers weepers!" I bent down, picked up the coins, put them in the pocket of my shorts and headed directly for the little corner store down the street to invest in some immediate, sugar-coated pleasures.

While moving in that direction, I tripped on a raised crack in the sidewalk and I tumbled forward onto the cement. Sadly, I looked down at my knees and saw blood running the length of my shins. With panic and tear-filled eyes, I quickly changed my plans to seek the comfort and safety of Mom's attention, knowing she would make everything better.

Soon, I found myself soaking in a warm bath tub where Mom gently washed my injured knees and provided soothing assurance that I would live. As comfort returned, so did the memory of my recent find. I became alarmed thinking that Mom might discover the coins in my pocket and inquire where they came from. So I quickly summoned the assistance of the only one I could trust...my big sister.

Lauri came to the side of the tub where she received top-secret instructions to fulfill her important mission. I directed her to recover the money and to buy my favorite candy items, generously promising to share a small portion of the loot once the deed was completed.

Much time passed as I waited and waited for Lauri to return. Where could she be? Finally, I saw her come around the corner with a small brown sack in her hand. She handed it to me and I opened it only to find a few pieces of cheap penny candy! I looked up and saw a very satisfied chocolate-stained smile and it hit me...I had been done in by my big sister! I was furious but felt totally helpess. The irony of the situation didn't occur to me until years later when I realized that Lauri was no more guilty than I was.
My faith in Lauri has been shaken a few more times over the years: one late night while spying on her smooching a high school boyfriend (I felt a little too much); during a period of time when I humbly allowed her to switch from oranges to my arm in practicing her skills of needle injection as a new nurse; and the worst...the time I caught her holding hands with my best friend Craig Mickelson...as if she were in love with him! (I was sick!)

Through the years, Lauri has more than repaired this loss of trust by serving as a listening ear, a dependent confidant, and basically a very kind, thoughtful sister. When my family and I lived in Indiana, Lauri, Dave, and their kids became an important part of our lives. We loved our trips to Illinois and enjoyed spending holidays with their family. From that period of my life, I grew to appreciate and love Lauri more as an "adult" big sister...someone (like me) experiencing the responsibilities of a growing family, muddling through personal challenges and growing from these trials. I've admired Lauri from a distance as she has moved forward in life to conquer obstacles, to nurture others, and to reach her potential in so many areas. I love her and honor her forty-nine years of life as MY BIG SISTER!
(She still owes me about 75 cents worth of candy...)



































2 comments:

  1. Lauri is such a little cutie! and as a member of the Van Leuven sibs...... I think Lauri has more than repaid her 75 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Valerie...Jerry, I actually think that it is you that should owe Lauri 75 cents.

    ReplyDelete