Grandmother Van Leuven's Church Mission


My daughter Leah recently began serving a full-time church mission in the WA Everett Mission.  This particular area of the country has special meaning for our family.  

Sister Van Leuven - 2013

Sister Van Leuven - 2013

I served a full-time mission in the WA Spokane Mission (which covered the entire state, part of Oregon and part of Idaho) and my Grandmother Van Leuven served a full-time mission in the Northwestern States Mission back in a time when very few women did this in the church.  

Elder Van Leuven - 1983

Leah has asked me a few times to share with her some history of Grandmother's mission.  Rather than just sending this to her, I'm posting it on this blog so it can be enjoyed by others.  Here is the portion of Grandmother's autobiography that covers not only her mission, but her informal courtship with my Grandfather Van Leuven who was attending school in Seattle during the time Grandmother served there...

On September 13, 1928, I left home for my mission to the Northwestern States, having received my call in July.  I stayed in Provo at Theora’s until Sept 16, then went to Salt Lake to the Mission Home.  Brother Taylor was in charge of the Mission Home.  At that time they kept the Missionaries at the Home for about two weeks.  Each day we were busy attending classes, and studying.  On Sept 20, 1928, I, with the other Missionaries went through the Temple for the first time.  In my mind I had thought a lot about what it would be like to go through the Temple.  When I finally went, it was very different than I had imagined.  I was glad to be able to go through another session Sept 22.  Each time I saw and thought of things a little differently.  This has been true through the years as I have attended Temple Sessions; there is always some new understanding and more knowledge of the Gospel to be learned. 

Sister Van Leuven - 1928

On Sept 25, each Missionary was set apart for their Mission.  I was set apart by Apostle James E. Talmadge.  This is the blessing he gave me as nearly as I could remember it: “With joy and thanksgiving I lay my hands upon your head.  It is given unto you to accomplish a great work.  You must devote your mind and body to this work .  You must preach by word and example.  Be an example to the public; you will be a source of comfort to those in distress.  They will call you blessed, both upon the earth and beyond the vale. You can receive guidance by prayer. Be very prayerful every day and hour. Be careful to follow the advice and council of those in authority over you, even if you do not understand it at the time; thereby you will be safe from all dangers.  It is very necessary that you live in accordance to the laws of health, especially watch your diet. The Lord is pleased with you. You may have every blessing you desire in righteousness according to your prayers and efforts. May you complete an honorable mission and come home to carry on a work that awaits you."

On Sept 28 I left Salt Lake for Portland. Helen McMullin, and Rosalind Reeves traveled with me. We went by train. we arrived in Portland on Sept. 30, and stayed at the Mission Home until Monday morning. William R. Sloan was the Pres. of the Mission. He was out of town when we arrived, so some of the Elders met us. Elder Derrick was in charge, and Pres Sloan had told him, so he told me later, to send one girl whom he thought would be the strongest Missionary, on to Seattle, the other two to Tacoma. He chose me to go to Seattle, telling me why at the time. I doubted very much that this was a compliment. I had never seen very far from home in my life, let alone traveling by myself.  Elder Derrick said I was to take my Book of Mormon in my hand, letting it show distinctly, and the Elders in Seattle would find me. You may believe that when I got off the train, my Book of Mormon was in plain sight.

Second Ave, Seattle - 1930

I hardly stepped off the train, when a young man stepped up and told me he was Elder Douglas Orchard, and he was from Brigham Utah. He wore a black bowler hat, which all the Elders in the District were wearing, just for fun. I was so glad to see another Missionary. Elder Orchard took me to the Church where the Missionaries were holding a party.  L. Ray Jensen was the District Pres. in Seattle. It was great to meet all the missionaries, and it didn't take long to feel very close to them.  He held many parties at Church. There were so many of us, when they all came into Seattle from everywhere near, that on holidays we held parties and had dinner together. The Members would give us, food, turkey etc. instead of inviting us to their homes so that we could be together.

My first companion was Ivy May Perry, from Salt Lake.  We were together for two months, then I had Mary Beeler from Arizona, as a companion.  She was the daughter of Jacob Hamlin, and was about forty-five years old. She came on a short -term mission. She was a good Missionary, and I learned to think a great deal of her. She never wanted us to say out loud what we were going to do each day. She said Satan would hear us, and prevent us from doing it. After Sr. Beeler, Alvera
Price was my companion. we got along fine, and had a lot of fun. At that time we lived four in an apartment on California Street. Next Norene Richens was my companion. She was the most ideal missionary I ever worked with. I think more of Norene all the time, and can say she was a real companion.  We enjoyed each other and we did a lot of work while we were together. we did a great deal of Primary work. She and I organized three Primaries at Orphan Homes, and another Primary at a number of different places; these we attended each week to help keep them going. Elsie Hansen from Syracuse was my next companion. She was a very wonderful girl and Missionary.

I had the privilege of being present at the opening of the Portland Chapel, a most wonderful building. President Wibley, Ivins, and Clawson were present. Also all the Missionaries of the Northwest were present.  This was 17, Feb. 1929.

Right here I must mention Ray Van Leuven. I had met him at the party at the Church the first day I arrived in Seattle. He was a student at the University of Seattle. from  the time I met him, he was special to me. He was very active in the Branch, and spent every moment he could get away from his studies, with the Missionaries. He was with us so much that we all thought of him as one of us. we never had a party or get together that he wasn't included, just as though he was a Missionary.  In fact he spent his holidays going into the country with one of the regular Missionaries to do Missionary work. He made several trips without "purse or Script".

Ray Van Leuven - University of Washington, 1931

I think he was attracted to me too, as he was with me and whoever happened to be my companion whenever he could be. For some time I lived in the same district as he did, and he always took us home. ne rode part way on the street car, then walked quite a distance, when we had been at the Church.  At that time there was only one Church in Seattle, which was situated in Queen Ann Hill.

After Elsie Hansen was my companion I was alone for two months. I was President of the West Washington Primaries and so traveled quite a lot, and as they were one Missionary short, I went without a companion, because I had to leave her so much anyway. Later, Della Smith, Jennie Palmer and Jane Fisher in turn were my companions.

There were so many nice Mormons in Seattle that treated Missionaries like they belonged to them. Some I especially liked, were the Einer Engebretsons, and their relatives, the Doble family. Both these ladies tried so see which could cook the best meals for the Missionaries. We felt at home at either place. One companion and I lived with the J.C. Newmans. He was an FBI man, and away from home a great deal. Then there was Ashley Rands in Bremerton who would meet us at the dock and take us to the Primary. One time we had to rush to catch the ferry, and out on the dock was a man with a pile of big red apples for sale. Being very hungry, we hurried and bought one to eat as we crossed the bay. We happened to look back at the man who was busily polishing apples on a dirty handkerchief as he spit on the apple. Needless to say we dumped our apples into the Bay. I spent sixteen months in Seattle; while there I worked under L. Ray Jensen, Wayne G. Brown, and Wallace K. Everton as District Presidents.


On Jan 8, 1930 I was transferred to the So. Oregon District at Salem.  There were only four of us, Lygia Felt, my companion, Elder Haddock and Elder Edward J. Holmes. Only four or five families of Saints lived there, but we held Sunday School . On May 6 we all went to Eugene Oregon for Conference. Pres Alder, who was District Pres. was released and Alton H. Peterson put in his place. On May l7 I was transferred to Medford Oregon where Devola Sorenson was my companion. I stayed in So, Oregon for six months, then I went back to Seattle to go with the Missionaries there, to Cardston Canada to the Temple. I left Medford July 2. Each year there is a big Temple Caravan to the Cardston Temple, for all people in the North- west who could make the trip. The Missionaries who are almost through with their Missions, are privileged to go to the Temple. I was allowed to go back to Seattle to go on this Excursion.  I wanted to go with Ray. .

On July 11, Elsie Hansen, Jessie Condi, Lillian Russel, Ann Johnson, Ray Van Leuven and I left Seattle for Canada. Ray drove the car, and we traveled in a large Caravan with other Saints and Missionaries.  We arrived in Cardston July 14. On the l5th we visited the Mennonite Colony in Canada. we stayed with the members around Cardston, who opened their homes to the visitors. On July 16 we held a big street meeting. On both the 17th and 18th we all went through the Temple. In the afternoon of the 17th I had the privilege of speaking in the Temple, as at that time I was released from my Mission along with Sr. Marie Jansen, Elders Summerhays, Bowering, Asper and Lamb.  While at Cardston I received endowments for six people, and I was baptized for six. Pres. wood and Pres. Sloan gave us many inspirational talks in the Temple.  After the sessions at night we all met in the Celestial Room; and heard many wonderful incidents that had happened. Each night we stayed there very late, listening to Pres. wood. I had the privilege of being sealed three times for dead people.  This inscription is on the outside of the Temple:

Cardston Alberta Temple

Hearts must be pure to come within these walls,
Where spreads a feast unknown to festive halls.
Freely partake, for freely God hath given
And taste the Holy joys that tell of heaven.

Here learn of Him that triumphed o'er the grave,
And unto men the keys of the kingdom gave.
Joined here by power that past and present bind
The living and dead perfection find.

On July 18 we left Cardston and traveled to Cranbrook Canada where we stayed at the Byng Hotel. It was this night that may asked me to marry him. I had known that he would ask me for a long time, and I had known that I would say yes as soon as he did ask, but he waited until I was no longer a Missionary. I still remember the porch and the shrubbery around it, at the Byng Hotel. I was to sleep in a room with the girls that traveled with us, and couldn’t stay out late because of disturbing them when I came in.  But it was late enough and I took time to say yes, I would be happy to marry him.

Ray and Vera Van Leuven (and friend)

On July 19th we arrived in Seattle late at night.  I stayed in Seattle at the apartment with the other Missionaries.  I sort of hated to go home, because Ray still had some work to do at the University, and was going to stay in Seattle until it was finished.  I left Seattle July 28, for Salt Lake, arriving there August 1, and home Auguts 3, 1930.

LETTER FROM GRANDFATHER TIMOTHY TO VERA WHILE ON HER MISSION:

My Dear Grand Daughter Vera,

You don’t know how glad I was to get a letter from you but I am a little ashamed to think I did not write before.  I have often thought I would (like) to hear from you.  How did you spend your birthday?  I hope you had a good time.  It was a very stormy day here.  The snow fell and the wind blew fierce but Uncle Hugh and Aunt Emily the children and Grandma Woodward.  So we had a good time anyway.  I often wished I could of went on a mission when I was young.  Getting the door slammed in my face would not hurt me a bit.  Well Very, I am glad you are enjoying your work.  You said you was thankful for your good parents.  So am I.  I am thankful to the Lord that my parents joined the church in the Old World and made it possible for me to be where I am. 

Great, Great Grandfather David Timothy

You asked if I was doing any temple work.  We went to one day this winter.  Went through two sessions.  We are living about fourteen miles from Salt Lake so it makes it quite hard to get there so early.  Aunt Lula will go next Thursday.  I can’t go myself.  I have five hundred baby chicks and I have to be with them nearly all the time and I am building a coop for them and it keeps me busy all the time.  You asked if I was living near by Fern’s.  We live across the road and a little below.  When will you be released?  When you come to Salt Lake come to see me before you go home.  I don’t suppose you will (be) to conference.  They are going to have the greatest time they ever had in the church.  It will last one week.  Well Vera, if you have time write me again but I don’t think you are allowed to write very many letters.

With good wishes,

Your Grandfather (Timothy)

No comments:

Post a Comment