I grew up with five maternal aunts, all living fairly close to each oth
er in the west part of the Salt Lake Valley. There were a few temporary exceptions in Tabiona and Eugene, OR and a more permanent one in Evanstan,WY. However, the most defined exception in my memory was my mom's sister Kaye (Graham), who seemed to live a million miles away from our part of the world.
I remember many summers counting down the weeks, days, and hours until that overloaded station wagon from Ames, Iowa would make a turn off 3600 by Aunt Leah and Aunt Wilma's house and slowly get closer to where I waited anxiously in front of Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Each year, it was almost like a natural instinct for all of us to gather the family together and await the arrival of the Grahams.
When the car was finally in view, shouts of "they are coming!" were repeated and cousins from every family would spill out into the front yard and cracked gravel driveway
in anticipation of seeing the Grahams. For me, it was especially exciting being the oldest Eldredge boy cousin. David and Tyler (Graham) provided two weeks of endless excuses to have sleepovers with another cousin Brian (the four of us), to go swimming together at the Granger High swimming pool, to go on outings to Hogle Zoo, Timpanogus Cave, and into Cottonwood Canyon for an early family breakfast.
er in the west part of the Salt Lake Valley. There were a few temporary exceptions in Tabiona and Eugene, OR and a more permanent one in Evanstan,WY. However, the most defined exception in my memory was my mom's sister Kaye (Graham), who seemed to live a million miles away from our part of the world.I remember many summers counting down the weeks, days, and hours until that overloaded station wagon from Ames, Iowa would make a turn off 3600 by Aunt Leah and Aunt Wilma's house and slowly get closer to where I waited anxiously in front of Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Each year, it was almost like a natural instinct for all of us to gather the family together and await the arrival of the Grahams.
When the car was finally in view, shouts of "they are coming!" were repeated and cousins from every family would spill out into the front yard and cracked gravel driveway
in anticipation of seeing the Grahams. For me, it was especially exciting being the oldest Eldredge boy cousin. David and Tyler (Graham) provided two weeks of endless excuses to have sleepovers with another cousin Brian (the four of us), to go swimming together at the Granger High swimming pool, to go on outings to Hogle Zoo, Timpanogus Cave, and into Cottonwood Canyon for an early family breakfast. Now that I think about it, I really didn't see the Grahams that often growing up...but they provided an important routine of my childhood. Almost like the passing seasons, these summer visits from Iowa (and later North Dakota) measured seg
ments of my youth and became a part of who I am today. Now it is my family who has made periodic trips to Utah and Illinois where my kids have been greeted by the cousins they love so much. Although technology lessens the distance between these kids and their cousins today, these somewhat routine visits have steadily built that safety of belonging to an extended family, the perception of being loved no matter what, and a growing understanding of who they are.
Wow, I am so glad I found your blog. I was a little younger but this brings back a ton of great memories.
ReplyDeleteeric